Quiet time and lazy Sundays are the stuff that parents-of-young babies dreams' are made of. The idea that there will be a guaranteed two hour block of everyone engaged in their own individual, quiet, personal pursuits is the harbor that the Dotytron and I cling to when we're raking a tsunami of Duplo off our carpet for the 15th time in a day. When every counter in our newly renovated kitchen is covered with last night's dinner tailings because we just weren't up for the last and final wave of cleaning after rousing ourselves from the daily 9pm "trying to find just the right thing to watch on Netflix, giving up, and passing out" ritual, and each child is clamoring for a different morning dairy product (cottage cheese! Yogurt! Smoothie!), the flashes of the Great Promise that is family weekend quiet time is what sustains us. Two uninterrupted hours to work are a glorious, glorious thing.
Our two week holiday was as usual, about half holiday and half visits, eating, some stress, living. We actually had our s**t pretty much together this year - so much so that I managed to bang out a quilt top and quilt back this break. That's not nothing, folks. We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day with Momma D and Emdo. We spent Boxing Day weekend with my family. We had 4 (FOUR!) meals out (!!!!) and a very low-key NYE.
I'm telling you, man, I'm not buying a single thing for my kids ever again. Especially not around the holidays. It's insane! Every year, we talk about "scaling back" and every year, present opening takes a minimum of 2 hours and by the end of it we're all pasty and clammy and shell-shocked from the whole ordeal. The Big Yam has been consistently asking for a "skeleton" from Santa since about the end of Halloween (I think he got his holidays confused) and opened his present from Santa on Christmas Day and was such a giant nerd about how into it he was:
I love my nerdbomber kid, so much.
Post present opening remark: "How did Santa know I like dead things?"
Post present opening remark: "How did Santa know I like dead things?"
Pre-hairtcut photo shoot for grandparental units
Quincess Leia "cheese face"
Cousins shot - Lenny doing his "cheese" face like whoa
Lenny "cheese" face in detail
Classic Quincess - such a little daydream believer
Other things that happened:
We left the babies with our caregiver and snuck off and ate a delicious medianoche-filled lunch at La Cubana one day. I really like that place, teensy tiny tables, delicious habanero honey fried calamari and all. I really hope that the normalization of Cuban-American relations doesn't change the cuisine.
I went to the AGO with the Big Yam and my friend Montreal I to check the Alex Colville exhibit. The Big Yam was not a fan. I was, but unfortunately, if you pay for a special exhibit, bringing a person the Big Yam's age to the AGO is not your friend. You are working at cross-purposes. He found the exhibit "boring," the paintings with the animals "scary," and I got a lot of "I want to go home." He wanted to run around in the Henry Moore sculpture gallery, which is what we ended up doing.
Mid-haircut, I had to tour a new electrician around our basement wearing this amazeballs shirt that Momma D got me for Xmas. It would be an XL on Rita McNeil. It is hilarious. Oh, did I mention that half my hair was straightened and clipped up (only half?!)
I hung out with this little bobblehead. HOW CUTE IS THIS BABY?!? Short answer: the cutest.
We had the Roomie, and Montreal I, and L'Armi over one night and we were all in the kitchen cleaning up from dinner when L'Armi called disinterestedly from the living room, "Uh, we have a bit of a situation here." So we all walked over and saw that the Quincess had smeared about half a tub of Vaseline over half his face.
I made this malted buttercream chocolate stump (it's supposed to be a buche de noel turned on its' side - or what Dr. Rei calls a "log of yule") courtesy of the Baked team. Recipe is here. Overall, the recipe was a bit fussy and indulgent (17 eggs!) for a decent yield. You make a genoise and spread the buttercream on and roll it up. I don't think I would make it in that form again. Or maybe cut the recipe in half? I always find genoise cakes kind of dry.
My 2014 Xmas cookie plate (left to right, top to bottom): Tartine's salted chocolate rye cookies, classic chocolate chip, chocolate oatmeal, Smitten's buckeyes, Martha Stewart's gingerbread, malted chocolate chip, maple brown sugar, gingersnaps, Dutch vanilla almond sugar cookies. I would re-do the Tartine ones. The buckeyes are now standard, the gingerbread recipe produces a nice, cakey, soft gingerbread so that's our go-to now as well, as are the malted milk chocolate. My gingersnaps always over-baked and got too crisp this year. The Dutch sugar cookies were a bit bland and disappointing (I was supposed to be able to pipe the batter but it almost made two piping bags explode!), and the maple brown sugar ones were also too sweet.
Our New Year's eve saw me lining up at Diana's seafood on the BUSIEST SEAFOOD DAY OF THE YEAR like a total idiot for oysters. We also made some fresh pasta and then the Dotytron went out briefly for drinks with his friends while I snuggled in with the Big Yam and contentedly fell asleep at 9pm. Good times.
Sunday supper was a return to normalcy (read: not cookies for dinner). A bastardized Hungarian goulash (according to Tillers, my choice to omit the caraway is sacrilege), whole wheat spaetzle, and braised cabbage.
I'm nearly finished a quilt! Fastest turnaround time, ever. Details to come, but suffice to say that on Sunday night, while the Dotytron and I puzzled through the amorphous and entirely implausible motivations of the sadistic multinational corporation pulling the strings in the Maze Runner movie, I enlisted his help with basting. Which I will never do again as almost all his pins were stuck to the carpet and we had to re-do them anyway. But also, look at my handsome progressive partner in his Zubaz!
Fin.

No comments:
Post a Comment