Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A Banner Month Part 1

I think I'm going to spend all of July catching up on what was one of the more insane Junes in Lagerfeld life history.  That month was OFF. THE. CHAINS.

First of all, these nuggets turned the big 0-3.  Which is like, HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?


We had the grandmothers over for a twins birthday dinner of their favorite meal (spaghetti and meatballs and a homemade ice cream cake I made).  Guys, buying ice cream cake is such a rip off!  Homemade ice cream cake is the stuff that dreams are made of.  Chocolate cookie crust, a layer of chocolate ice cream, a layer of Momofuku Milk Bar's chocolate crumb, a layer of vanilla bean ice cream, topped with fudge sauce?  I froze it and then added more warmed fudge sauce after with some dollops of whipped cream.  It was SO GOOD.






We also went to an old skool jungle rave that weekend?  Just the two of us but we ran into our buddy Burton there and we had a good night of dancing to old skool hardcore music and early early jungle and it was THE BEST, although we were predictably wrecked on the Sunday.  We still pulled ourselves together and did things with the kids, we just did it feeling like a bag of a-holes.  As always, doing things that make you feel like people, even if there is the inevitable bag of a-holes backlash, is the only thing that makes us functioning parents and people.  If we DIDN'T do it?  I'd be even worse of a parent, guaranteed.

Giant useless disco ball at the rave.



 Peppa Pig birthday cake evolution.

On their actual birthday, I had a pretty brilliant idea - I invited all the neighbours and the kids on the street out onto the street for pizza, snacks, juice and cake, and then just leveraged the play that happens after work anyway.  It was AMAZING!  The entire party cost about $140, and that was $100 worth of party sized pizzas.  In lieu of gifts I asked the kids to make the twins cards and the kids stepped up and it was so, so, so cute.  I also made a Peppa Pig cake and it looked like Peppa and I mean, that's all one can really ask for at the end of the day, right?



I did the birthday "interview" questions and I wish I had recorded it.  It was so funny.

Here are Twin B's answers:

What is your favorite color?      White
What is your favorite toy?  The Rocket
What is your favorite thing to eat? Peanut butter toast and yogurt
What is your favorite movie? Wreck It Ralph
What is your favorite outfit to wear?  Thomas!  (Thomas Pajamas)
What are your favorite animals? Gorilla
What does Mama do for work? Treasures!
What does Baba do for work? Go to school
What is your favorite book?  Peppa Pig!
What is your favorite thing to do outside? Playing with my light sabre
Who is your best friend? Joel (neighbour)
What do you want to be when you grow up?  A Tooth Fairy
What's your favorite game to play?  Poop
What's your favorite thing to do with Mama? Poop on the toilet
What's your favorite thing to do with Baba?  Eat breakfast on the couch
What's your favorite special treat?  cake
If you could go anywhere, where would you want to go?  The dinosaur one
What makes you happy?  I like to cut up papers
What makes you sad?  Quincy hits me with the horse in the head
What makes you scared?  Pirates of the Caribbean

LOL at wanting to be a Tooth Fairy when he grows up.

Here are Twin A's answers:

What is your favorite color?    Blue
What is your favorite toy?  My crown (his birthday crown)
What is your favorite thing to eat? cake
What is your favorite movie? The King and Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
What is your favorite outfit to wear?  Diapers
What are your favorite animals? Horse and a cow
What does Mama do for work? Go to a minion tower
What does Baba do for work? Buy money
What is your favorite book?  Wreck It Ralph Christmas Story
What is your favorite thing to do outside? Playing with my light sabre and my rocket
Who is your best friend? You! (Mama)
What do you want to be when you grow up?  Ummmm...Dinosaur
What's your favorite game to play?  Having my birthday presents!
What's your favorite thing to do with Mama? Poopy
What's your favorite thing to do with Baba?  Pooping on Baba
What's your favorite special treat?  Having cake
If you could go anywhere, where would you want to go?  To Mister Stink
What makes you happy?  When the caterpillar turns into a butterfly
What makes you sad?  When Lenny hits me
What makes you scared?  I’m scared of spiders

LOL at "diapers" being  a person's favorite outfit to wear.  Also, a caterpillar turning into a butterfly making him happy???  So cute.  I know that both of their answers are influenced by external (read: older sibling) factors, but getting some insight into the swirling mass of confusion that is a preschooler's brain is pretty fascinating/hilarious.



The valley of tears, aka Kindergarten graduation. The Big Yam's teacher organized a ceremony, with little caps and diplomas.  Each kid had their own framed photo with them in a cap and gown.  Then there was a small party.  I went in late to work and almost cried my guts out.  I can't believe that this guy is going into grade one next year.  Like, recess with the big kids, no longer in the kindie pen.  IN WITH THE GEN POP.  How does that even work?!????  I hope he's gonna be okay.





We also went to see my outlaw sis perform as part of LuminaTO. The site for LuminaTO this year was a decommissioned generating station, the Hearn Power Plant.  It's on the east side, so we rode our bikes out there and brought the kids.  The Hearn was VERY raw.  My neighbour told me they put $60 million into it? Not really sure where the money went.  There was some space cleared inside for live performances, and art, but in between were piles of concrete and rubble.  It was pretty cool and I hope they can continue to use the spot in the future.








Big Yam's wedding pre-game routine involved playing hard at the beach and then solo-slamming back a bag of pepperoni.







And finally, those first two weeks in June culminated in my brother's wedding, at Deer Park Lodge, on the banks of Lake Huron, which is gorgeous beyond measure.  It looks like the Caribbean and maybe that's due to pollution and agricultural run-off, but I gotta say, I don't even care?  I mean, I do care, but also, not really.  Haha.

We arrived on Friday, mid-day and immediately hit the beach.  There was a pot-luck barbecue that night, and we hung with our friends from CLE.  The next day was more beaching, and then the ceremony, and then the reception and dancing, and we busted out the next day.

I still can't quite believe that my brother is married now?  I'm trying to put down in words what it means to have siblings, and it is late, and I am writing to fulfill my mum's desires for more blog content, and I'm finding my writing muscles have atrophied somewhat.  I love my family.  My relationship with each of the members of my family hasn't always been easy, or smooth, or effortless. Despite growing up essentially within the same set of parameters, we are all very different individuals, but what I love about my family is how, when external pressure is applied, we close ranks, salt the earth, and raze the ground upon which our aggressors stand.

There is a 16 year age gap between my eldest sibling and my youngest.  We are different people, with different values, and beliefs, and modes of operation, and yet.  And yet, there is nothing quite like having people to bear witness to your family with you.  Your parents can't do it.  They're their own thing.  Your siblings are the ones you get to complain, and reminisce, and enjoy your parents with.  That bank of shared memories, in-jokes, after-the-parents-have-gone-to-bed shenanigans...that's something that only your siblings can know and understand.

I was so proud of my siblings at that wedding.  I was proud of my brother for being an adult (not that marriage makes you an adult, but I think being able to put together a wedding certainly does).  I was proud of my youngest brother for being a good best man, being an adult, and giving a really touching speech.  I was proud of my sister, for singing a speech from the musical Hamilton and the two of us coming up with something on the fly to say (we were asked to say something about 30 minutes before we took the podium) and for being both a sister and mother-hen to us all.  I was proud of my outlaw brother, my new outlaw sister, and my youngest brother's girlfriend, for taking one look at our crazy clan and being okay with us, in all our unpolished, behind-closed-doors, s**t talking, occasional arguing, screaming, disheveled glory.  I was proud of my mum and Big D, for raising us 4 accomplished, bright kids, and not really having any plan or fixed pedagogy when doing so, other than inculcating in us the concept that family and honest are the most important things in the world.

I loved hearing my brother's high school friends speak.  I loved hanging with them at the wedding.  I loved being able to spend time with my family in this gorgeous setting and spend a long weekend relaxing.  When my sister sang the toast from Hamilton, one of my brother's friends from the audience called back the response.  It was so cute.















Fin.






1 comment:

mackyton said...

Your outdoor party photos look great. It’s been a long time I haven’t been anywhere with my family. We had a thrilling family party in January 2016 at outdoor lofty spaces in Miami. It was a wonderful event and I might host such party again in next week.