Saturday, February 08, 2014

Gastrointestinal Fortitude

Or lack thereof.  And then, and then we got a round of stomach bug through the house.  Huzzah!  So far me and the Big Yam have been spared.  Lindsay Lou-Lou got it first, and was a sad, barfy sack yesterday.  It was tragic.  He barfed for about 4 hours and then was so tired that he was extra slumpy and cuddly.  There is something uniquely tragic about when your kid is sick and can only stare dull-eyed into the middle distance.  That being said, I took him to our doctor's urgent care clinic (another point for the family health team model!  Urgent care hours until 8pm Monday through Thursday!) and he was obviously flirting with the doctor and smiling and being the sweetest, so the doctor thought that it was just a reaction to something he ate.  This is before the Quincess was felled and the Dotytron, last night.  In case you're keeping track, this is night three of heavily interrupted sleep.  In case you're keeping track, this is the third individual visit to the doctor's this week, by a member of Casa Dotytron-Lagerfeld.  The Big Yam: finger infection!  Me: possible thrush but just a hurty boob!  Lindsay Lou-Lou: possible food reaction but more likely stomach bug!

[Edit: Got a call from our doctor's office yesterday afternoon, as it turns out, the strep throat swab they did came back positive.  A-mazing]

Clear eyes, strong hearts, people.

In between loads of laundry, let's talk about better things.  Things like: how amazing the Big Yam is right now.  Usually as the bed time routine draws to a close, I lie next to him and we put our noses together and have a talk.  I was telling him that I loved him, and he said he loved me, too.  I asked him why he loved me, and this is what he said: "Because you're exactly as I are."  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

video

So, did I mention that I'm most likely getting a late-stage tattoo?  Haha.  It is to honour the Yeti, as tattoos were really important to him, and it's also a way for me to recognize those I've lost these past few years.  In terms of what I'm going to get, that remains to be seen, although I can totally see how it can be a slippery slope.  These are the general areas I'm thinking of:



Something linear and geometric


Or, something to honour my beloved cat, Smudge

A delicate floral, maybe?

Or maybe something in a stylized script.  Johnny Cash's Flesh and Blood has been on my mind lately (as you can see in the video above).  Trying to put it into the lullaby rotation.  The Dotytron just came home sick from work yesterday and I showed him the video and he welled up.  Proud Baba.  

Getting felled by sickness all around lightened up our weekend considerably.  I had the pleasure of going tobogganing with the Big Yam and then taking him to his dance class.  Guys, he tries so hard.  It's the sweetest.  Watching your kids navigate the world is heart-breaking.  The Big Yam is so sweet and has so few defences to protect him.  He's a pretty guileless kid.  We were at the play space with our neighbour and her daughter.  We were joined by our neighbour's friend and her daughter.  As soon as the other girl showed up the girls stuck together and started to shut the Big Yam out.  He was set on playing chase so he tried to run around with them, and the next thing I knew, one of the girls was saying, "Big Yam, nooooo!" and I went to intervene and he was standing there, all bashful, arms akimbo, not really understanding what he had done wrong.  I asked what had happened and he said, "I was - I was just trying to catch her" and it was the saddest little moment.  He's not generally malicious or a precocious kid - he's very innocent and I hate the fact that this innocence is going to be stripped from him, little by little, as the years go by.  Because you're exactly as I are.


Last night we ordered pizza, hung out, and watched Frozen together (review to come).  Tonight we had a pancetta, squash, and kale risotto, my version of the Olive Garden salad for dinner and will be snacking on cheesecake brownies while we watch the Wolf of Wall Street and I knit.  Sounds like a pretty perfect evening for a family of sickies.

Fin.







No comments: