Monday, March 25, 2013

Blasé

Things to never tell a hypochondriac (if you're an OB): "Your pregnancy is as high risk as they get."  Wait - what?  Thus far, my principle concerns have been related to the minivan, whether my Land of Nod order will come in time to set up the Big Yam's new room, and the fact that I look like I'm 7 months pregnant (from the front only!!!).  I have also had concerns that the global food supply is insufficient for my current needs (where, like a newborn, I'm ravenously hungry every hour on the hour) and at AYCE sushi on Saturday with my family, THEY  were concerned that I was going to Hulk-smash the f**k out of the place when our food didn't materialize on the table immediately and when our salmon sushi order was mistakenly placed as 2 pieces instead of two orders.

Which is all to say, that even though my OB is really nice and laid-back, I guess I wasn't taking the whole monochorionic-diamniotic dimension of the twerps seriously enough.  The major issue is the Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome, which happens in 30% of my type of pregnancy AND if severe and left untreated has a 60-100% morbidity rate (*knocks on wood a billion, trillion times*)  There's the issue of them sharing a placenta, and the placenta giving out.  As an aside: how crazy are placentas??? Your body like, GROWS a new organ that has a shelf life.  Then there's the risk of my cervix thinning too much and the twerps falling out of my body (or something).  Ugh.  It was definitely a bit of a wake-up call.  I guess I've been pretty blasé so far and worried about the wrong things.

I don't think there's anything I can do about it though, so there's that.  I should start seeing the multiples clinic soon and they have crazy state-of-the-art ultrasounds to make sure things are copacetic in there.  In the meantime I'll continue to preoccupy myself with the weird statistical anomaly concerns that I generally bring to the table (prolapsed cord, DIC).  Living with a midwife I tells ya - it will mess you up good.

The other thing is that I'll have to give birth in a full operating room, which is a step up from the hospital room I was in last time.  There'll be a tonne of people around.  If all goes well the OB will let the midwife deliver the first baby (provided twerp A is presenting head down) and then usually steps in for twerp B.  She said that she usually recommends an epidural, which gave me pause.  I didn't have one the first time and I'm more freaked out by that than what I remember of labour and delivery.  Induced labours with oxytocin tend to be more intense and painful than non-induced labours and since I rode out the first one okay, then I feel like I can handle it.  The recommendation for the epidural is because if twerp B is breach, then the OB has to basically fist me and pull the baby out by its' feet.  DRAMAS!  I dunno...I still am way more freaked out by the epidural (who wants a needle in their spine?!) than the whole fisting thing.  Like, after pushing a baby out, can you even feel a hand going in?  I checked my OB's hands (although she might not be there for the birth), and they're pretty delicate.  Obviously, she can't force me to do anything, but that was her recommendation.  I'll think about it (in between calculating how many Oreos I'm going to eat tonight dunked in milk, and how many I'm going to eat straight-up).

So on to the good news: we had a lovely weekend around here.  We were up in Markham on Friday evening and all of Saturday hanging with my sis and the niece and nephews and eating delicious Chinese food at Congee Queen, and AYCE sushi, and an awesome banquet dinner for my mum's birthday Saturday night. So much good food!  I made my mum a tres leches cake which went over about as well as anything I've ever made for her, which is high praise indeed as she tends to be hyper-critical.

One of my favourite moments from the weekend was pulling out an old piano book and learning a Bach minuet with the Dotytron.  We did two right hands (me treble clef and him bass clef part).  It was SO. MUCH. FUN.  Yes, we are giant nerdlingers.  You would have overheard us saying stuff like: "This is really pretty," "I know right?  I can't wait to hear it come together,"  "It's Bach - he makes statues cry," and we practised and practised until we got it down and it was SO REWARDING.  It's made me so hungry for a piano I can't even tell you.  I want one, like yesterday.  Playing a piano is like playing golf - each time you have a chance to get it perfect.  I am totally the kind of personality to get off on that kind of thing.


Sunday was a lazy day of laundry, hanging outside with the neighbourhood kidlets, yoga, and making Sunday supper.  I made us spinach and ricotta stuffed shells (the filling was extra and frozen, as was the sauce, so this was relatively painless to put together), an arugula salad with lemon juice and grated parm, and toasted Ace bakery olive bread, buttered.  So good.

Tonight for dinner I made us a mulligatawny soup with chunks of sweet potato and chicken breast, that we had topped with a squeeze of lime, some yogurt, and toasted coconut.  The Dotytron and the Big Yam bought samosas to go with.

Fin.

3 comments:

Rhea said...

Uh the epidural is nothing...trust me. I was freaked out about it too but it really did not hurt. the contractions overwhelm any pain plus the iv hurt way more! You're cray if you're going to have twins sans drugs!

Anonymous said...

aww....beebs, you spelled "Bach" "Back"

awww....*patronizing head patting*

Emily Robson said...

I was induced. I eventually had the epidural. Honestly, at that point the needle didn't even register. I was really trying to manage without the epidural (and unbeknownst to me I got through transition without it), but I didn't regret for a second.