Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Favorite part of the day

Here's a short little video of one of my favorite parts of the day.  When we all sit around the table and the Big Yam asks us what our favorite part of the day was.  Lately this has involved a confession from him about pushing or hitting one of his daycare peeps.


Another thing I love is that he has a big, stuffed (it's 2 feet tall) Bernard from Where the Wild Things Are toy in his room and he calls it a "wild things are."  As in: "There's my 'wild things are.'"  So cute!!!

He also answers almost everything you say with "yes" except it's his lispy version: "yesth."  So we'll say stuff like, "You're not supposed to hit T.  It hurts him."  "Yesth."  "We're going to eat hamburgers for dinner." "Yesth."  It's so definitive and sure and hilariously non-topical at times.

I've been sitting on a lot of opinions about the ongoing dispute between elementary and secondary school teachers in Ontario represented by the ETFO and the OSSTF respectively, and the province in their labour negotiations.  Since I am paid to be professionally non-political, I am loathe to take to a public forum (albeit one with an teeny tiny readership) like this blurg to express my views.  What I will say is that the tactics employed by the union in this case have shown a marked and deplorable absence of political savvy or acumen.  Also a gross misunderstanding of public opinion and a reliance on a short-term game (if you could even call it a game) that is extremely amateurish.  I also don't know why I expected teachers as a whole to be more rational and critical than the general electorate, but I did, and I'm finding the level of mis-information that is circulating from the government AND union alike appalling.

As an information professional and a proponent of informed choice, it is galling to me that the information most people need to make informed decisions is readily available and yet people are still so easily swayed by rhetoric and ideology.  I can't tell you how many people I spoke to on both sides of the argument who didn't even bother to read the text of the legislation in question (Bill 115) or the Memorandum of Understanding upon which the contracts were to be based.

Like young master T's shirt says:

Ask questions.  All the time.  Find the source.  It's all about the information, Marty!

This is all to say that I think that I really, truly believe I missed my calling as a political strategist.  I'm good at this game, yo.  We'll see what happens if I decide to run for school board trustee in a decade.  This is also to say that I should re-watch Sneakers again (which is true, all the time, erry day)

I can't reiterate enough how good that mattar paneer was.  I've NAILED the recipe.  It's so quick and easy, too.  I also think that sauce would work really nicely as a hybrid chicken tikka/butter chicken sauce with some boneless skinless chicken thighs or some such.

Tonight was pancake Tuesday.  As I said on Twitter, it's so telling to me that the most excessive thing white people could think of to make before giving things up for Lent is like, pancakes...which aren't even that RICH.  Gimme some doughnuts!  Some fried chicken!  Some lasagna!  A freakin' Cinnabon!  Let's DO IT UP, FAT TUESDAY!


All that being said, we ate pancakes for dinner, LOL.  The Dotytron was in charge.  Pancakes and bacon.  We've been in search of the perfect buttermilk pancake and my FB friend posted a slightly adapted Cook's Illustrated recipe today in honor of Mardi Gras that is now our go-to recipe.  I've posted it below.  It's fantastic.  The addition of sour cream is key.  As you might recall, from my sour cream pancake adventure a few weeks back, sour cream makes a nice rich-but-light pancake with a good spring in its step that's still tender.  That last recipe I used was almost entirely sour cream - this recipe veers more towards your standard, classic pancake, with just a bit of sour tang to elevate it.  Highly recommended.  The Dotytron made banana, chocolate chip, and plain ones.

Fin.




------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best Buttermilk Pancakes
a Cook's Illustrated adaptation
makes about 16 4" pancakes

2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sour cream or yogurt
3 T. butter, melted

- whisk together dry ingredients in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- mix wet into dry, stirring just until combined.
- cook on a buttered griddle until browned on one side and bubbly, flip and cook through.
- keep warm in a 200F oven.






No comments: