Monday, December 03, 2012

O Tannenbaum

More muy silencio!  I was busy not-preparing for my 2nd interview for that job I really really really want (but will probably not get).  I got the call on Tuesday that I was being called for a second interview.  Whereas other people would be all "Yay! I made it to the next round!", because I'm a megalomaniac, I was all "Boo! They didn't want me ENOUGH!  What's wrong with meeeeeeeeeee?!"  It was not my finest hour.  They apparently have 3 strong candidates and couldn't decide.  Ugghhhhhhhh...I just want to be put out of my misery.  I've had dreams of the HR rep calling and giving me the "Well, it's never nice to have to be the bearer of bad news..." spiel.  The HR rep also told me that the second interview was more of an "informal chat" and that there was "no way to prepare."  HOW DO YOU TELL A PERSON WHO PRIDES HERSELF ON PREPAREDNESS THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO PREPARE?!?!!???  How?!!!???

Anyway, I had the second interview today.  I don't want to talk about it.  Except to say, I talked about my feelings again.  *FACEPALM*  Only at the end.  And only for a teensy tiny little bit.  But I did it.  I'm the worst.

This weekend was lovely and cozy and fun.  It all kicked off on Thursday night when we had fun impromptu dinner hangs with Dr. Rei and Hanbo.  We wanted to go to Caplansky's, but stupid GUY FIERI was in there, filming Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and had closed the place down.  There is nothing worst than an heartset Caplansky's outing FOILED BY GUY FIERI.  So we ended up at Fancy Franks (my second time in one week), where we jammed to their best restaurant playlist ever and the Big Yam ate about a half cup of ketchup with his fingers as utensils.  Then when we were leaving, he made us all die with laughter by mimicking the Dotytron's "take care, man!" goodbye to Uncle Hanbo.  It was the best.  He also did this imitation of Dr. Rei's signature wind-up-a-kid dance and it was also, the best.

I had my day off on Friday and went buck with the Big Yam.  I made homemade Twix bars for freezing, I made buckeyes for freezing, I made a quiche for my Sunday brunch, and I basically did a tonne of work and then dumped him off with J and got a massage and then came home and laid on the couch eating leftover turkey tetrazzini.  It was pretty ace.  We had a lowkey Friday night and then a BUCKSAUCE Saturday that involved me taking the Big Yam to Chinese school, then Costco (in DECEMBER!!!), then to meet my mum for lunch and then back home.  Then the Dotytron went to get the tree.  It was epic.  We wrestled with the tree (we got a scotch pine, which smells wonderful but is a prickly bastard) and after that we were done.  We were supposed to go to S & P's Christmas party but bailed to go for a night time walk and to eat a special dinner just us.  Which never happens, so it was nice.  We went to the Riverside Public House and had their fried chicken:

The fried chicken there is soooooo good.  But everything else is kinda meh.  I wish you could just order a bucket of the chicken alone.  The kale is an afterthought, the mashed potatoes are gluey, and the gravy is flavorless.  But the chicken!!! Crispy, juicy, delicious, delicious, delicious.  So torn about going back.

We had a nice long walk to the restaurant and back and then we came home and hung out.  Just us.  On a Saturday night.  So nice.

Sunday we had our friends B & S and Tiggity and his wife R over for brunch.  Brunch entertaining is THE BOMB.  Everyone was out of the house by 1pm and we had the whole rest of the day!  Plus, we're already up anyway, so it's no biggie to prep.  Plus, we're usually eating a special Sunday breakkie anyway, so it's just the matter of making a bit of extra food.  I made quiche lorraine and a salad and chubby breakfast sausages and pumpkin donuts which were so freakin' good.  I'm going to post the recipe at the bottom of this post.  Or maybe I'll do it tomorrow because I don't feel like typing.  Either way: so good.  Cake donuts are relatively easy, but I think in order to make sure they turn out tender after hitting the fryer, the dough has to be quite soft and sticky which makes things fraught when you're patting and rolling.  Nevertheless, homemade donuts are a wonder and I might have eaten 10 billion (I'm back to talking to My Fitness Pal today).




We chased brunch with a visit to the Fire Station to drop off toys (Advent Calendar Day 2):

Then I had an unplanned but fun visit with E and then we went to Momma D's house to eat Festive Specials (double leg, what what!) and decorate the wee table top tree we got for her.  It was a lovely day, but exhausting.  I was spent by 8pm.

Tonight was all about decorating the tree (Advent Calendar Day 3).  So here is Scotchy McGee in all his prickly, scratchy, but oh-so-fragrant glory:



 Last week I made parsnip & potato latkes with a horseradish sour cream which I think was vaguely inspired by something on Smittten Kitchen.  At any rate, since I didn't consult the Smitten website once and since these latkes were EXTRAORDINARY and made a parsnip lover (well, not exactly, more like a parsnip tolerator) out of the Dotytron, and they were so dead easy, then I will definitely post the recipe at the bottom of this post.  We served it with freezer spinach & cheese manicotti (looking a little sad up there).

Tonight we had delicata squash cannelloni with a parmesan bechamel sauce with sage, and a salad of roasted brussels sprouts, hazelnuts, and a brown butter vinaigrette.



Fin.

-------------------------------------------------------

Parsnip and Potato Latkes
makes about 10 2.5" latkes

3 large parsnips, peeled
2 smallish potatoes
2 eggs
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 cup (or thereabouts) of flour
salt and pepper
sour cream & prepared horseradish, mixed to your desired level of each ingredient, for dipping
canola oil for frying

- grate the parsnips (we ran them through the grater disk on the food processor)
- ditto the potatoes
- take the grated veggies and throw them in a dish towel, gather up the corners so you get a towel ball filled with grated root vegetables, twist, and squeeze to get out the extra liquid
- in a bowl, stir together the eggs, the baking powder, the flour and salt and pepper to taste (keep in mind that you will salt the latkes again after they come out of the pan, so just season enough at this point to keep them from being insipid).
- dump the grated veg into the bowl and toss everything with a fork until all the delicious soon-to-be-crispy veggie strands are coated.
- drop heaping spoonfuls of this mixture into a pan with about an inch of oil, heated to hot.  Fry on either side until golden and crispy and remove with a slotted spoon or some other utensil that encourages draining to paper towel-lined dish.  Sprinkle with salt.
- Eat with gusto with horseradish sour cream, plain old sour cream, or apple sauce.








No comments: