Thursday, September 20, 2012

Current faves

So the Big Yam is Big Verbal right now - he can basically parrot anything you say (which can be dangerous, as in the case last night on the bench at dodgeball when he repeated the key word in my phrase, "your mama's playing like s**t tonight" - SPOILER ALERT: the key word wasn't "tonight"), and it leads to funny moments like when he says, "sixty bucks" or when he mimics my exasperated, "hello?!?" that I often yell up the stairs at a lolly-gagging Dotytron, who has invariably told me that he's ready to go but then keeps me waiting at the door while he listens to a Sonny Rollins record in his room.

One of my faves is when he gets so excited by what he's seeing that he can't formulate the words.  Last night on the way home from dodgeball we pulled up alongside a bus and he goes, "Mama! Baba! -----" and you could tell that every synapse in his brain was firing with "BUS!" and his body was vibrating with excitement but he was SO pumped he couldn't actually get the word out.  He pointed out the window and and tried to get the word out and it was the cutest thing.

Another fave is me teaching him about being "cozy."  In the morning, I've built in enough time (because I wake up at 5:45am thanks to a certain someone) that when he gets up I can scoop him into bed with me and pull the covers over his legs or pull him onto the couch with me and his bottle of nai-nai and pull Nany Dotytron's afghan over our legs and tuck the coverings in around his feet and tell him that we're being cozy.  Now he asks for it and it's the sweetest.

Final Big Yam fave.  Ever since he's been a wee bobbin, if I was wearing him in the carrier or strolling him in the stroller, I would periodically stop abruptly and say, "Guess what?  I love you."  Last week I was wearing him on my back on our way to daycare and I stopped and said, "Guess what?" and he said, "Lallooo" and it's the cutest, dearest thing ever.


Recently we watched the documentary, Marley.  It's an extremely well-produced and entertaining documentary that offers a glimpse into Bob Marley's early years and historical context for the creation and popularization of reggae music.  If I had one critique, it's that the documentary doesn't critique his womanizing (and his wife, Rita's, tacit enabling of it) or the deification of him.  First-hand testimony from his wife, some of his mistresses, his kids, and people like Bunny Wailer and Lee Scratch Perry alongside archival footage and still shots makes up the bulk of the documentary and while I still feel that Bob himself is a bit of a cipher at the core of the film, the doc is extremely well produced and interesting.  Like, hello, Rastafarianism, much?!  And what's with believing that Haile Selassie is the second coming of Jesus?  It's insanely interesting and has lead to some homework on our parts figuring out the religion and where Selassie fits in, which in turn has lead to looking up Marcus Garvey and reading up on the pan-African movement and the repatriation of Jamaica.  Fascinating stuff.

One of my favorite things from the doc was listening to early Wailers tunes - before reggae was created,  when it was ska and the unique sound that developed from the Jamaican attempt to replicate the 50s/60s doowop sound.  I particularly loved this song called "Selassie is the Chapel" which I had never heard before, but it's this sweeping, beautiful ballad with gorgeous, thrumming, swooping harmonies.  It's just gorgeous.  What the film made me realize was just how prodigiously talented Marley was and what a colossal shame that he died so young.  I mean, we've all heard the tunes off of Legend a million times over, and I am definitely guilty of feeling like they're played out, but situated within the context of musical history and culture, I have a new found respect.  Let's face it - the tunes are catchy and poppy as all get-out and they deserve to be played as often as they are.  Digging deeper into earlier catalogue is also rewarding.  Peep these two tunes:





Tuesday night's dinner was kimchi fried rice topped with a fried egg.  I've switched over to pan frying in coconut oil and I'm a total convert!  It burns clean, is loaded with good fats, and bonus: your house smells all coconutty when you heat it up (but no coconut flavour is imparted to the food).  I'm sold!  This was made with kimchi made by our neighbour's mom, who we call halmoni (the Korean word for grandmother)

Last night's Greek mac'n'cheese


Tonight was leftover night. 



Fin.

No comments: