Wednesday, June 06, 2012

She who shall not be named...

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  The roomie had her baby!  A girl!  At home (lucky!)  The baby was born on Monday morning.  The roomie is pretty particular about things so she's put a moratorium on visitors...it's probably for the best because I'm starting to get a bit baby-crazy and I'm starting to develop a reputation as a giant baby hog.  Whenever I can get my hands on our neighbour's baby, the Zen Potato, I do and I don't give her up if I don't have to.


Anyway, from L'Armi's announcements on FB, it *seems* like the baby might not have a name yet...which I find weird [edit: textual communication with the roomie confirms the baby has not been named].  The roomie and L'Armi were having a hard time with names from the get-go.  I was talking about with the Dotytron last night and my position is that it's weird when people don't name their baby for days after the baby is born.  I feel like it's a sorting hat type scenario.  Even if you were on the fence about names, it should come to you in the moments (I'll give you a few hours) immediately following the birth.  You should have a sense of the overwhelming rightness of it all.  As I said to the Dotytron last night, if the name doesn't come to you, then you might end up with a Slytherin.


Are you guys tired of hearing about how much I love my street?  We went outside after dinner and EVERYONE was out and freezies were being dispensed and the kids were running amok and then we saw our neighbour striding out with this duct-tape-and-box contraption that he had stuck a home made pinhole camera attached to it that he had rigged up to watch the transit of Venus or whatever it was called.  So we all clustered around and tried to see and it was so cute - kids out in their pajamas after bedtime, everyone running around with sticky hands, the neighbours talking and chatting. It was so cute.  A bunch of the neighbours are all going camping together in late August, too.  We'd totally would have gone, but we're going to be at our friends, B & G's wedding.  I'm sad to miss the camping fun but so pumped to go to the wedding!  I think we're going to get the Dotytron a new suit for the occasion, which he can use for Lolly's wedding in the fall.  The Dotytron gets to go on this canoe/camping trip with B and his high school crew as B's "shower" type thing.


Last night's dinner was solid.  A shrimp po'boy with remoulade sided with slaw, on a super-soft Strickland's butchers bun.  ARGHHHHH.  I would happily eat cornmeal & flour coated fried seafood iterations piled on a bun with remoulade for weeks on end.  It's so good!!!


Tonight's dinner was homemade cheeseburger casserole.  Like Hamburger Helper but homemade.  I would also happily eat sautéed ground beef with onions and garlic on starch (one of my favorite Chinese dishes that I never get to have is "minced beef on rice" which is basically the above served on steamed rice - it's DELICIOUS).  I've posted the recipe below.  You basically sauté up your ground beef with onions and garlic and then add seasonings, broth, ketchup, and cook the macaroni in the mixture and stir in grated cheddar cheese at the end.  It was so, so, good.  I served it with a cucumber, celery, and red pepper salad with a cumin mint dressing.  No surprise: big hit with our little Tamil Tiger, who basically likes to eat either the most cracker-jack mangia cake food, OR the spiciest string hoppers this side of Ceylon.  He kept going, "mmm, mmm, mmm! yum!" all of his own accord. It was pretty high praise.


I'm home alone tonight - the Dotytron's music night.  I'm hoping the power doesn't go out as I have a long night of curling up with my books ahead of me.  I'm currently alternating between Kristin Cashore's latest, Bitterblue (YA fantasy type stuff), and Joe Sacco's Footnotes in Gaza (a crash course in Israeli-Palestinian history).


Fin.


-----------------------------------------------------------------


Cheeseburger Casserole
serves 4-6, generously


2lbs ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped 
2 T. dijon mustard
1 1/2 c. ketchup (I told you it was kind of trashy!)
4 c. beef broth (approximately, you might have to add more)
1 500g. box of elbow macaroni
2 c. of grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste


- sauté up the onions and garlic in some olive oil in a large, wide, shallowish pan (I use this Jamie Oliver chicken fryer pan, that's about I dunno...14" across and 3" deep?) 
- add the ground beef and cook until browned over medium-high heat
- stir together the mustard, ketchup and broth, pour into the pan
- stir in the macaroni, bring to a boil, and then cover and lower the heat, stirring occasionally until the macaroni is cooked through.  You might have to add some water if the macaroni absorbs all the liquid before it's cooked.
- when the macaroni is cooked through, turn the heat off, and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- season to taste with salt and pepper (it shouldn't need much in the way of salt with the cheddar and ketchup).
- serve and be ready for mad kid accolades.





1 comment:

dr. rei said...

Mmmm mmmm....looks delicious, gonna try this one for sure!