Sunday, March 25, 2012

NYC part deux

 The Big Yam cruising around in his bonny togs

 Day 2 we ended up at the Manhattan Children's Museum, where the admission price for adults and all children over the age of 12 months is $11 (why a children's museum would create uniform pricing for adults and children is beyond me.)  It's basically a giant indoor playground with different learning areas, sand and water play, and some cheesy "exhibits" that are of questionable ethnic integrity and intent.



 Holla!  We hit up Doughnut Plant for the most delicious doughnuts I've ever had in my life.  I tried one of each kind - cake and yeasted.  The Tres Leches cake doughnut was out of this world but the yeasted doughnut was even better, if that's even possible.  It was light, airy, and filled with the most luscious, essence-of-coconut cream filling I had ever tasted.  Bomb!

The evening of Day 2 is the night we went to Brooklyn to eat at Betto and to visit with my chef friends S (who's the chef there), and A (who is a sous chef at Lincoln) and the Dotytron's buddy A and his gf, C.  It was a lovely, lovely dinner that stretched long into the evening.



 Day 3 we started by taking a walk on the High Line, which is an elevated train track that was converted into a park.  I can't even describe how lovely this was in the spring.  It's such a phenomenal idea and a smart and savvy use of space.  The Big Yam LOVED it.  He had been wanting to be outside the whole trip so the fact that he could run up and down and zip around was positively THRILLING for him.  I can't say enough good things about it.  Definitely a not-miss attraction.

 We saw this sculpture by artist Susan Sze, who I just learned is the wife of Siddharta Mukherjee, the author of the 2011 Pulitzer Prize winning non-fiction book, The Emperor of All Maladies, which I just finished two nights ago.  When I went to read up on him after finishing the book, I found out his wife was an artist and that I had recently seen her work!  Cool!  I'll review his book in an upcoming post.


 That day we had lunch at Parm, which is a sister restaurant to one of the newest and hippest kids on the block, Torrisi Italian Specialities.  There was no way we would be able to get resos at Torrisi, so we settled for walking in for lunch at Parm, which, in keeping with the unwritten NYC policy, doesn't have high chairs.  Of course.  They specialize in Italian-American red sauce classics. The value for the dollar is good - you get a big plate of chicken parm (me) or chicken francese (Dotytron) with salad or baked ziti with "gravy" for $15.



 Our last dinner in NYC we trekked to Brooklyn to eat at Pies'n'Thighs.  Fried pickles, fried chicken, biscuits, mac'n'cheese, and a fried apple pie?  Uh-huh.  Yeah, that's right.  

 My friends A & S live in an apartment pretty close to our hotel, so we went to visit them that night and hung out on their shared rooftop terrace.  This is the view of the Empire State Building from their place.  Pretty slick.

I'm a sucker, and the Big Yam was suffering from the beginnings of his walking pneumonia...so I had in the bed with us every night.  Best. Feeling. Ever.

And that wraps up our version of NYC this time around.  Like I said, it wasn't ideal.  There are obviously more high-profile restos I would have liked to have gone to and I would have wanted a more restful vacation than what I got toting my bambino around...but it was still nice to spend a good chunk of time away from our regular lives and whatnot.  I just love, love, love NYC.  It's such an awesome, awesome city.

That wraps up the NYC coverage.  Back to regularly scheduled posting tomorrow...complete with a book review and HUNGER GAMES MOVIE WEEKEND MADNESS!!!

Fin.

No comments: