Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Running!

I am being run off my feet lately.  I've had a slew of ideas for projects at work, which of course, only serves to make my life at work all that much more hectic and frenzied as I try to keep all the balls in the air.  It's serious crunch time for school, with only about 6 months left of the program before I'm done and I get to semi-proudly add the letters MPPAL to my name.  

Question for all you people - do you put your degrees after your name in your letterhead?  Is that something I should add to my resume and cover letter or is it weird and poncey?  

Then you've got juggling an active social life, being a parent, coordinating the Dotytron's and my shared medical benefits (which is seriously a part-time job in and of itself!) and on top of it all, all of this is being fueled (or NOT being fueled, more correctly) by my reduced caloric intake of late and you have the end result of me passing out on Friday night at the Golden Girls-approved hour of 8:30pm.  

Would I have it any other way?  Of course not.  Would I perhaps prefer to be one of those people who are paid to post on Pinterest by companies like Pottery Barn (maybe not them) or Etsy or Anthropologie?  Of course.  Being an arbiter of pins is like, my dream job, following closely on the heels of being the librarian at Entertainment Weekly.  And yet, would I REALLY want to have to limit myself that way?  I love being a multi-faceted person with many (some would say too many) interests, always taking on too much and teetering on the brink of having it all collapse down on me.  But since I've left the trenches of the restaurant industry, I think this is the only way I know how to be me - to simulate the experience of being in the weeds and the adrenaline hit of pushing through the rush and feeling your blood pumping and knowing that you are ALIVE, gosh darn it!  Some people heli-ski, some people 
free-climb, me?  I'm a professional administrator of the daily mundane and I wouldn't have it any other way.



Seriously?  Not a good look for me.

We've watched a tonne of movies lately.  


50/50 was really excellent.  I don't think it deserves "best picture" talk, but overall, the tone of the film is really warm, generous, and sweet, only occasionally veering off into maudlin territory.  I think that Bryce Dallas Howard's girlfriend character was over-drawn (that seems to be her lot in life!), but Anjelica Huston as the protective, hovering, overwhelmed mother really struck a chord.  There's a scene where she's in the oncologist's office waiting with Joseph Gordon Levitt and looks at the oncologist's degrees and says something like, "Hmmm...he went to a state school," and it made me think of something my mum would say.  My mum would say EXACTLY that.  LOL!  It was very cute.  The character's relationship with his parents going through this thing rang true and the humour is played perfectly.  I think it deftly navigates the emotional eddies of a young person experiencing cancer and Seth Rogen is a perfect foil.


Unfortunately, I watched Moneyball after reading the book and so I was less interested in it.  I feel like people just love Sorkin's writing so much that anything he's attached to makes the awards-circuit.  This was good - not as good as the book.  It just seemed kind of slight to me - they didn't really capture the essence of Billy Beane's internal psycho-social struggle or how renegade the Oakland head office was at the time.  It was good.  Not great.  It doesn't linger with me.



This was more entertaining than I anticipated, mostly due to the inclusion of an orangutan character named Maurice.  This is a classic installment in the "animals/robots/aliens realizing that people are bad" genre (see: Short Circuit, Project X, King Kong, ET, etc.)  The Dotytron kept talking about Susan Sontag (ie. "See! They [the apes] just want to be Susan Sontag!") which led us to this hilarious clip from Gremlins 2 where the smart gremlin talks about how the gremlins are really just after "civilization" and talks about the finer things, which somehow includes Susan Sontag.  It's pretty hilarious:


This scene is notable because you would NEVER see Susan Sontag (or an equivalent modern personage) referenced in a popular film today.  I don't think so, at least.  It makes me sad.



Attack the Block I had wanted to see for a while based on awesome reviews, but the Dotytron, being clueless, had never heard of it and was skeptical.  The film opens with a mugging and as soon as the characters opened their mouths, they had us SOLD.  We loved this movie.  It's basically like, Revenge of the Chavs, or if Goonies has been made in a low-class apartment complex in the UK.  It's an adventure film featuring a rag-tag, meatball-filled, gang of no-good, dorky kids, who have this big adventure and learn a little something along the way.  A tried and true genre, but one that has been forsaken by the movie producers gods of late, for reasons unknown, since the end result can be so charming.  Movies for kids tend to either skew too young, or too old, and the adventure element isn't done nearly so well with live actors as it was in the heydey of the style, which would be the 80s.  Add to that the natural fondness the Dotytron and I have for characters saying "bruv" and "innit" and all the other amazing UK slang that we had exposure to through the jungle scene and it's a match made in heaven.  We found this movie just all around charming and really funny.  I think familiarity with the type of scene in question is a bit of a must.  I don't know if it will resonate with you the same way if you didn't know anything about it, but we really liked it.



I watched Sideways and thought it was the boringest thing I had ever seen in my life.  The Descendants, on the other hand, I loved. Some of it hit a little too close to home - it was hard watching George Clooney's wife in the film in a coma and the character's grief brought raw emotions to the fore.  We have a deep and abiding love for Hawaii in this house.  Certain places just seem to strike a chord for us, resonating deep.  Spain is one of those places for casa Dotytron and Lagerfeld.  Hawaii is another.  Sure, you say, how hard is it to fall in love with paradise?  But that's one of the threads that's explored in the film and there's a thesis there about life, generations, descendants, family, grief, and the ties that bind in this elemental place that I haven't fully thought through yet.  I really loved that it showed the mundane Hawaii - the every day Hawaii of strip malls, and cloudy days.  I was talking to my film friend D about it and he found it maudlin and he didn't like the heavy use of voice over.  I don't know - I was quite taken with the film and I really enjoyed it.  I find myself wanting to talk about it and think about it, which is generally the sign of a good one, in my books.


On Sunday morning I made us biscuits with scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, and crisped proscuitto for breakfast.  I loves me a biscuit breakfast sammy:


This was last night's dinner - a lentil soup with lots of veggies, some chopped kale, and a ham hock thrown in for smokiness.


Tonight is a school night.  I'm doing a presentation on public sector values and ethics and then busting outta there to get home in time to eat cake (I made the Momofuku birthday cake!) with Momma D and Ehmdo for the outlaw sis' birthday.


Fin.

No comments: