Monday, November 07, 2011

Roseola butt

Coping with a certain little roseola butt accounts for the blogging delays. The little mister had a pretty rough weekend - he was clingy and didn't want to be put down and was being a bit of a whiner. It was tough to deal with, especially when you're trying to get a midterm done at the same time. At a certain point, when the Big Yam was crying to get my attention I just kept saying, "SHUT UP" and then the Dotytron chastised me for being a jerk and I felt really bad.
Especially because later that same day, I was lying on the futon mattress on the floor of the Big Yam's room (we haven't moved it out from the night we kept a sick and sleepless vigil over him) trying to nap while he crawled around and played around me. At one point, he lay down on his back beside me and I sang "Twinkle Twinkle" and did the hand motions and then we found a scrap of paper and started playing this silly made-up game where I kind of flapped it around and it made him giggle over and over again. Imagine how bad I felt then for telling him to shut up when he was sick and just wanting to be held. IMAGINE. I'll give you an idea: REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BAD. Like, approaching war crimes-bad.
Out of all the wonderful, wonderful, new, heart-piercing feelings that are associated with parenthood, you and your child lying on the floor on your backs, side by side, looking up together - playing with your hands, reading a story, watching the slow-moving drift of the mobile - is an especially sweet one. Feeling your child's giggles reverberate through his cheek pressed against yours at the same time as you hear that sweet, sweet sound so close in your ear will make your heart swell with a love you didn't know was possible. I love the little muffin top so much.
[/gross human-interest story sentimentality]
Holy crikes. I might as well be that great dane with the seeing eye dog friend at this point.

Friday nights' dinner: braised Chinese style pork belly in a sweet soy sauce with eggs, sautéed Chinese greens from our CSA, and brown rice

The Dotytron and the Big Yam at the Evergreen Brickworks. This photo doesn't adequately capture the magic of that place - the cold snap of the fall, the whispering visibility of people's breath in the air, the comfort of chilly fingers wrapped around warm cups of coffee, the camaraderie around the fires, or waiting in line for a breakfast crepe. This is fast becoming one of our favorite Saturday morning rituals.

Saturday nights' dinner - turkey and brown rice cabbage rolls. So good.

Saturday night's dessert - pouding chomeur w/ vanilla ice cream

Sunday breakfast - toasted pecan whole wheat waffles with bacon and bison breakfast sausages from the new store, Sausage Partners, that just opened up a hop, skip, and a jump away from us.

Sunday night's dinner at Momma D's: red currant glazed, prune stuffed pork tenderloin, baked potatoes, asparagus, her special turnip & apple casserole

Monday nights' dinner - braised sausages from Sausage Partners again - the "organ grinder" (organ meats) and the bacon and bison ones with a white bean, kale, tomato, and rosemary ragout.

Last night was book club - I love my academic book club ladies. I stayed until almost midnight talking with the stragglers. It's such a nice, supportive atmosphere and it's funny to see how this disparate group of women spanning a wide age range has come together and found commonalities and become friends.

Class tonight - ugh. I definitely have to go as I've missed the last 2. I'll leave during the break and hope for the best when it comes time to do the final take-home exam.

I brought leftover braised sausage for dinner.

Fin.

No comments: