Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Busy as a motherf**ker in here

I am getting OWNED right now. OWNED! Work is busy, school is busy, life is busy and I'm so OVER Christmas. Actually, revise. I love everything about Christmas except the gifts. I'm over getting gifts, I'm over the pressure to get gifts. I'm definitely over gifts for anyone under the age of 16. I just think it's so ridiculous. Like, what are you going to do? Get me stuff I can buy myself? As a believer in the "Treat. Yo'. Self." school of conspicuous consumption, I don't really need someone to get me rando shiz. I like, REALLY REALLY REALLY don't need someone to get me rando shiz. I just feel like the holidays are stressful for everyone, and we all KNOW it's stressful going out and buying something special and meaningful for people on your list in like, the 2 seconds you have when you're not running from work, to home, to socializing with people in a meaningful way, to being at home and doing meaningful, non-capitalist driven stuff that actually HELPS the world more than more stuff does - so why do we do it? Why do we do it to each other? So not worth it!
I love seeing my house lit up with the kind of kooky, non-Martha Stewart approved light display I cooked up while still recovering from gastroenteritis on Monday (I teetered on a step stool while experiencing the chills) and I love being with family and visiting with friends and I love eating cookies and baking cookies and giving cookies and I love crying through the Peanuts Christmas movie and I love snow and hot chocolate and wearing slippers and soft flannel jammies and the smell of firs and evergreens and the holiday buffet at Hart House which is the closest I've come to eating in the great hall at Hogwart's.. Those are all things I love about the holidays. The gifts? And the shopping? And the endless piles of garbage-making? I can do without.
Next year I'm going to make the Big Yam an advent calendar and I'm going to put like, 1 piece of chocolate in and the rest of the pockets will be filled with activities like "drinking hot chocolate" or "watching a holiday-themed movie" or a book or something. Holiday memories are about being together. The stuff is the least of it. I will make a concession for a stocking. I like stockings. But I'm going to take a page from Little House on the Prairie. You know what Laura and Mary got in their stocking? I'll itemize it for you:
1 tin cup each
1 cookie cake made with white flour
1 penny in the toe of the stocking
That's IT. There might have been a stick of striped peppermint candy, but I'm not sure if that was Little House on the Prairie or Little House in the Big Woods. Either way, it's pretty chill. I came across this grouping of stocking stuffers in my blogroll and I like the categories: something to eat, something to read, something to play with, something to wear. That seems very reasonable and yet still fun.
Things that can take the wind right out of your sails: finding out, 3 weeks after submitting your mid-term exam, that you did the wrong version of the exam, the version of the exam that was longer and had more components, because the prof didn't send out an email about the revised take-home exam available on the course website, and you always leave class mid-way through so you didn't hear the announcement. AI-YI-YI, papi! What the heck? I'm waiting to hear back from the prof on how we're going to fix this little situation.
I have a lit review, a final exam, and a research paper (a baby one) due by December 10th and I'm working my butt off to get everything in by then. Technically, I have until the 16th...but I don't want to be working until the 16th. I want to enjoy my Hart House Holiday buffet lunch on the 15th with an empty belly derived from my clear conscience.
On Monday I made us minestrone with spinach-cheese tortellini:

Yesterday we had tuna noodle casserole with a buttered challah topping:

I really, really, really love me a tuna noodle casserole. It's so comforting, with the Campbell's Cream soup all up in there like it's the 1960s all over again.

Tonight we're having dressed up perogies with caramelized fennel and onions and bacon and roasted broccoli and sautéed kale. With a billion pounds of sour cream, of course.

The Big Yam had his one year check up yesterday and our doctor was loving how he sat so still and quiet while he checked his ear and then of his own volition turned his head so that Dr. S. could check his other ear. He did cry when he got stabbed with 3 needles but it subsided quickly. The little muffin. I love seeing him all bundled up in his bulky winter coat and his weird sock-mitts that I knit for him with his face framed by his aviator cap - there's something about when you frame the Big Yam's face that makes his eyes look extra dark and his little button nose extra-buttony and his chubby cheeks extra chunky wunky and his little pretty-boy mouth extra girly.

Okay - that's it for me for the time being. I've got a book review for you tomorrow.

Fin.

No comments: