Monday, October 31, 2011

Welcome to Twin Peaks

Special Agent Dale Cooper

The Log Lady and her Log


Me (recycling sushi costume from 2008), Big Yam, Neighbour & her daughter at the
drop-in centre's Halloween S**tshow

O.D.B. Pumpkin

David Lynch pumpkin

The house - decorated

Halloween debriefing:

a) I'm so so so glad I took yesterday off. Getting the second of my two pumpkins done was an exercise in down-to-the-wire frantic, stressful carving. I'm pretty proud of both pumpkins though - there's something about the candlelight that imbues the carvings with more life than your standard issue stencil job. Also:

b) Halloween started wicked early! Peeps are crazy! I had dinner ready to go at 5:30 and we were just finishing up and washing up when the whole troop of neighbourhood kids came by our house at like, 6:15. What the blood?!? I was running out the house trying to get my pumpkins set up and lit and getting the mummy lanterns done accompanied by the very-un-Halloween and kid-inappropriate exclamation, "HOLY CRAP!?!??!!" when I answered the door.

c) I think it's really, really lame when the neighbours all shut down their candy giving at like, 7:30pm just because THEIR kids are all super-young (like, under 5) and they want to get back to their usual nighttime routine. It's just weak. I think 9pm is an acceptable time to shut 'er down. In the suburbs, we would go to 10pm, easy! And it's like, just because your kids are young now, what do you think is gonna happen when they're like, 10 or 11? Halloween is FOR EVERYONE! It was just super-depressing answering the door at 8pm and seeing all the other houses on the street all shuttered and dark with their pumpkins blown out. That's now how you become the street to be, jerks!!

d) I obviously have crazy "Street to Be" aspirations that aren't shared by my neighbours

e) Two forty year olds (1 in a mask, 1 sans) came to our house and wanted candy. The Dotytron felt sorry for them and it was just awkward all around.

f) Next year, I'm totally going to make gravestones. I've wanted to for the past TWO years and have been thwarted. We had crappy cardboard ones the first year we moved in, but I want ones made out of foam insulation (tutorial courtesy of Martha Stewart, but of course)

g) I wore my recycled sushi costume to answer the door but the Dotytron wore his "home clothes" uniform of: plaid flannel pajama pants, t-shirt, and junky hoodie, threw on a lei, and called himself a "stay at home dad on vacation" - LOL!

h) family costumes were a big hit this year. Here is a sneak peek at next year's idea:


That's right - going as Prince and the Revolution, with the Big Yam dressed up as Prince. LOL!!!!!!! I can't even talk about how funny this costume is going to be. Master T as Purple Rain era Prince?!??? With a little teeny tiny mustache drawn on? So freakin adorable.

i) The Prince thing is inspired by the fact that he's kicking off his next tour in Toronto, later this month, and we kinda want to go, if we can afford it. When SMckay found it she basically screamed loud enough to wake the dead and was totally willing to pay like, 50000 bajillion dollars for floor seats - we are not so similarly inclined. We'll see if we get tix!

End of Halloween wrap-up.

Last night's dinner was SO FREAKIN' GOOD! I made a curried buttercup squash and apple soup with these broccoli rabe, mozzarella and homemade tomato jam paninis. The homemade tomato jam is AMAZING. It's like a sweet, slightly spicy, best tasting ketchup - almost like a cross between a pepper jelly and ketchup. So good!




Tonight is snoozeville class for jerks. All I want to do is curl up and read Mindy Kaling's book which was delivered to my Kindle this morning, but no, I gotta sit through a boring lecture on Data Analysis. From a prof who likes to show us how "cool" he is by starting each lecture off with a clip from the Daily Show or a Calvin and Hobbes comic - and I LIKE Calvin and Hobbes (or at least, the Karl Lagerfeld of 1993 did)!!!

Fin.


---------------------------------------------------
Tomato Jam
makes about 3/4-1 cup

1 1/2 lbs plum tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
2 T. lemon juice
1 t. grated fresh ginger (or more, to taste - I used ground ginger because I didn't have fresh...about 1 t. ground)
1 c. sugar
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 t. salt

- combine all the ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot and cook over medium high heat until it boils.
- reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring every now and then, until the mixture gets thick and syrupy.
- this is a fantastic, fantastic condiment that is worth your time, trust!!!

1 comment:

steph said...

100% perming Master T's hair for the costume. It is only right, right?