Thursday, September 29, 2011

New Year

It's a new year around here, of the Jewish variety. We're having Momma D and the Dotytron's oldest childhood friend over for dinner tonight to celebrate Rosh Hashanah (aka excuse to eat apple cake and noodle kugel night.)
This will be a compendium post of things we've been up to as of late.


I made these corn and feta fritters which were absolutely delicious and so easy. I cut the corn kernals off of 2 ears of corn and set that aside. In a bowl, I mixed together 3 eggs, some baking powder (about a teaspoon), and enough flour to make a thickish pancake batter and then folded in the corn and some crumbled feta. Seasoned the mix with salt and pepper and cooked it on my greased cast iron skillet until browned on both sides. This would also be great with some grated zucchini. It makes a nice accompaniment to soup for a light meal.

The same night that I made the fritters, I trucked my butt (and the Big Yam's) up to North York Central Library for an interview and book signing with the author that kick-started my love for YA - Sarah Dessen. So cool!!! I got a book signed for myself and one for my sister, who is also a super-fan and basically a Chinese Sarah Dessen. To say that the event was an estrogen/hormonal juggernaut would be a gross understatement. There was a lot of brace-face, gaspy, breathy, "Um, I like, just wanted to say, that you're like, my favorite author in the whole like, world" type business happening, with some long-suffering boyfriends and parents thrown into the mix and then me with my baby. It was AWESOME.



We were all coming down with colds last week so I went into Jewish grandma mode and made us chicken matzoh ball soup with loads of crack black pepper and dill. Friday night was a rainy, miserable night that also called for being in our pajamas. Rainy nights that call for being in your pajamas ALSO call for warm cookies, so I whipped up a batch of chocolate coffee toffee brownie cookies. They were a HIT! Only 2 tablespooons of butter in the whole recipe! They're pretty cakey and fudgy and sweet, with the coffee adding a nice hit of depth and undernote of bitterness. I'm going to post the recipe at the end of this post.

Last week I had the brilliant idea that if the Boobla is going to wake us up obscenely early on weekends, then we might as well do something with that time and hit St. Lawrence Market. So on Saturday morning, we packed our butts into the car at 7am and drove to the market and ate a a delicious breakfast of peameal breakfast sammies and snacked on treats from the north farmer's market. It was a pretty inspired plan. Then we came home and napped. When we woke up, I dressed the Big Yam up like a chav:

and had him chill outside with us while I worked on the garden, planting bulbs. Here is the problem with 99% of moms out there - if I were to get some ridiculous gold chains and a fake Gucci hat and dress the Big Yam up as a chav for Halloween, it would TOTALLY go over all their heads. So sad. So many wasted opportunities. I'm thinking that our Twin Peaks inspired costumes are ALSO going to go over all their heads.

Team Cleveland was up for my mom's annual ball so we took them to the Burger's Priest and ordered off the secret menu. I got the High Priest, which is their version of the Big Mac - soooo tasty. Team Cleveland was suitably impressed.

The Dotytron wasn't feeling up to dealing with the ball so he volunteered to babysit the Big Yam and Little Big Cuz, whose name the Dotytron's phone auto corrects to "Marxist" - which is pretty hilarious. I brought the Big Yam down for a bit because I wanted to show him off in his tuxedo - look at how slammin' my mom looks:


Team Cleveland

My family is totally stressing me out right now. We're trying to organize Thanksgiving and trying to include Momma D and Ehmdo but it's complicated by the fact that my mom and Big D are basically shut-in, anti-social hoarding weirdos. Add to that that it's the Big Yam's one year birthday and it's just compounding the stress. I dunno - should I feel bad that I'm not doing a giant theme party for his birthday? I can't handle that. We don't have the space for it and I just don't have it in me to throw that together right now. Plus: HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON! That's how I'm justifying it to myself, anyway.

{time lapse}

Okay. I just had a mental breakdown that involved me throwing papers at the Dotytron and breaking down crying because after trying so hard to make it okay for Momma D and Ehmdo to come to Thanksgiving in the end they're not coming and it turns out that Nany isn't coming to the Big Yam's birthday dim sum lunch and I've had ENOUGH. Enough of doing all this stupid, goddamned organizing to make stuff happen so that everyone can be together. I can't do it. It's stupid and I hate it and I take on too much and it's not worth it. I'm cancelling dinner tonight so that I can do what **I** want, which, in the last 2 weeks of my maternity leave, is to spend time with the Dotytron and the Big Yam and friends and family as long as it is EASY and it's what I want to do and not out of some weird sense of Type A organizational obligation. I've cancelled our dinner guests so that I can feel okay eating dinner in my pajamas and then zoning out in front of the TV with my sewing.

That's my mantra and I'm sticking to it. This will be the finest Rosh Hashanah ever!

Fin.


--------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Coffee Toffee Cookies

6 oz. semi sweet chocolate
2 T. unsalted butter
1 T. instant coffee
1 c. all purpose flour
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. toffee bits

- preheat oven to 300F
- melt the butter and chocolate together, until smooth
- stir all the dry ingredients together (instant coffee, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt)
- whisk together the sugar with the eggs and vanilla. Stir the liquid ingredients into the chocolate mixture. Stir the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture.
- stir in the chocolate chips and toffee bits
- scoop out 1/4 c. spoonfuls of batter and bake on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets for about 15-20 minutes until tops are puffy and slightly cracked.


No comments: