Been meaning to post more, but haven't had the opportunity - I've been plugging away at my school stuff pretty prodigiously and the Big Yam's napping ain't what she used to be. Monday's belated Father's Day meal for Poppa D was fun! We constructed a collaborative meal and sat in Momma and Poppa D's gorgeous backyard, eating in the waning sunlight and playing Cranium together.
The finger in the mouth means he's working on dem teefs again. His top right tooth is coming in something fierce. I'm going to his goofy smile with just the bottom two chompers. Momma and Poppa D made a pork tenderloin stuffed with prunes on the grill, served with a currant jelly glaze. Ehmdo brought asparagus for grilling and a cabbage and apple slaw. I brought a spring new potato salad and the orange creamsicle tart:
Tuesday night's dinner was a bit of a write off - we just grabbed pizza from Queen Margherita takeout because we were home so late from the after school guitar party (kid in the class, sighing happily while munching on banana bread, "I love guitar parties" and then being rapidly corrected by someone else, "You mean you love the Dotytron's guitar parties!" - so cute!) and then we had to grab our CSA pickup. For Wednesday night dinner I made us a cold antipasti pasta salad - whole wheat farfalle tossed with sliced hot genoa salami, roasted peppers, tomatoes, mini boccaccini balls, basil, black olive tapenade and olive oil.
Tonight the plan is to make a cold soba noodle salad with shrimp, salad greens, and asparagus in a sesame-ginger dressing.
Last night was Academic Book Club, discussing the Hunger Games. I almost didn't go - the hostesses' house was all the way across town and I just wanted to loll around with the Dotytron and the Big Yam and the roomie who came for a walk and a visit. But I'm glad I did. I love those ladies and we have some pretty awesome conversations. Plus, my friend A gave me her old Britax Marathon car seat! Wahoo!!! Fancy fancy!
As promised, the Baked Orange Creamsicle tart recipe follows, with my adaptations.
Baked Orange Creamsicle Tart
adapted from Baked: Explorations
makes 1 9" tart
For the Orange Cream Soda Filling:
1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 1/4 t. unflavoured gelatin
zest and juice of 2 medium lemons (approx 1/4 c. juice)
zest and juice of 3 large oranges (approx 1 c. juice)
1 c. of orange cream soda (regular orange pop works)
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
3/4 c. of sugar
pinch of salt
1 prebaked 9" tart shell
1 c. of whipping cream
2 T. of sugar
Make the Orange Cream Soda Filling:
- place the butter in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the lemon juice in a bowl. set aside so that the gelatin can soften.
- in a medium saucepan, stir together the orange juice and soda. Bring to a boil and simmer until it is reduced by half or 1 cup. Take it off the heat and whisk to cool slightly.
- in another bowl, whisk together the orange and lemon zest, the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and pinch of salt until combined. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and evenly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Take the saucepan off the heat.
- whisk in the gelatin mixture until all the gelatin is dissolved.
- pour this mixture through a sieve into the bowl with the butter and whisk thoroughly until all the butter is incorporated. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the curd and set in the refrigerator to chill for 4-6 hours or until firm.
Assemble the Tart:
- take out the curd, it will be quite firm. Whisk it to loosen it slightly.
- spread the curd into the prepared tart shell.
- beat the 1 c. of whipping cream with 2 T. of sugar until firm peaks. Top the curd with the whipping cream. Serve immediately.