Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Two for Two

We're two for two on the deucing front. Wa wa wee wa.

Yesterday was a fun day. Momma D took the day off and spent it with me and Master T. We had wanted to go to the TIFF Bell Lightbox, but it was closed. Backup option the AGO: also closed. In the end we took the Big Yam by her work so that the ladies could fawn over him and then we went to the Eaton Centre and bought clothes and stuff for him and stocked him up on duds. We had lunch at Paramount on Yonge, which is all kinds of awesome. It's a Lebanese/Middle Eastern restaurant serving shwarmas, sandwiches, hummous, falafel, all kinds of baklawa, Middle Eastern "pizzas" and sweets. It's Halal and doesn't serve booze. The food was delicious! Puffy, fluffy warm pita bread arrives gratis, crying out for a dunk in hummous. Me and Momma D both ordered the lamb sandwich - chunks of juicy grilled lamb rolled up in a pita with turnip pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, and more hummous. I was dying to buy some baklawa and sweets for home (sold, correctly, by the kg), but showed some restraint. I can't wait to go there with my family the next time we're up in Markham.

Before falling asleep last night, the Dotytron and I were talking about our high school principal and trying to recall what he looked like. Then he mentioned our vice principal, and I said that I remembered him from being called into his office one time for my contributions to my friend's underground, dissident high school newspaper, The Epoch. I wrote a series of pieces lambasting "phonies" and stupid gyal dem in my high school. It was kind of hilarious. The Dotytron and I were howling remembering the fallout from my days as a rabble rouser. I said, "I think everyone thought I was writing about the cheerleading girls, but I totally wasn't," and the Dotytron goes, "who were you writing about? Your weird gifted enemies?" LOL!!! I was TOTALLY writing about my weird gifted enemies. It's truly laughable because in the annals of high school dramas, my imagined slights and rivalries with my weird enemies in the gifted program were such a miniscule, fringe element of the Sweet Valley High experience, that they didn't even register to anyone outside of the parties involved, and more likely didn't register to anyone but me. Ha!


Last night for dinner I made us whole wheat spaghetti with roasted cauliflower, chilies, chorizo, lentils & parm.


Tonight for dinner I pulled out a freezer mushroom lasagne and served that with a baby spinach salad with dried cranberries, toasted pecans, and maple vinaigrette.


I also baked the "cowboy cookies" from the Baked:Explorations cookbook. These were pretty tasty - a soft, chewy, oatmeal cookie with a nice sweet/salty balance from the inclusion of crushed pretzels in the batter. I'll post the recipe below.

Fin.


--------------------------------------------------------

Cowboy Cookies
adapted marginally from the Baked: Explorations cookbook

1 3/4 sticks (14 T) butter, softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1/4 c. hot water
1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. salted pretzels, crushed into small pieces but not obliterated into dust (I just put them in a ziploc bag and bang at them with my rolling pin)

- cream the butter and sugars together until smooth and airy
- add the egg and egg yolk, beating until light and fluffy
- scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, add the vanilla, and coffee mixture and stir to combine
- in a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients to combine and add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in 2 batches
- scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl again and stir in the chocolate chips and pretzel pieces
-wrap the mixing bowl and refrigerate the mixture for approximately 4 hours
- preheat the oven to 350F
- bake 2 T. sized balls of the dough (spaced 1" apart and flattened lightly with the palm of your hand) on lined baking sheets for about 11-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- consume with cold milk.

No comments: