Thursday, April 07, 2011

Big Yam

versus the avocado:


WARNING: the video is 2 minutes plus long, aka it's the Steven Soderbergh's Che (Parts 1 and 2) of the baby home video world. Also, it's of very limited interest to anyone who doesn't have a direct genetic link to the Big Yam. On the plus side - it does show Baby Led Weaning (hereinafter referred to as BLW) in action. It works! Obviously, he's not a complete ace at feeding himself yet since his motor skills are still pretty sketchy - but other than one gagging incident, he seems to gum appropriate-sized pieces and a fraction of those pieces seem to be making it down his gullet. This also reminds me that I really want to invest in a (second hand) Flip HD video recorder or something. Our little Nikon is so grainy!

Last night we went to Queen Margherita Pizza for dinner with our friends Evil Homer and his wife, C. I've known Evil Homer from the internets for like, 8 or 9 years now? And in all this time I had never met his then girlfriend, now wife. Until last night. It was a really good time matched with good food and good conversation, which is all you can really ask for out of life.



I've had a bit of a tender tummy lately (let's just say there's been a rumble in the Bronx) (I'm not a doctor, but I'm willing to bet a diet of a package of Oreos a night might have contributed to my current state), so I decide the best antidote was a nice, soothing, cleansing, gentle bowl of homemade pho. Pho broth is pretty easy to replicate - some charred ginger (or galangal), some garlic, some charred shallot, fish sauce, star anise, cloves, beef bones (preferably shank) and water, simmered for a long, long, long time. I added sliced Rowe Farms sirloin, washed bean sprouts (bean sprouts are basically an anagram for e.coli) sliced white onion, scallions, and passed thai basil, mint, and lime on the side.

The tender tummy is not stopping me from eating more cowboy cookies tonight.

Fin.


3 comments:

Nicole said...

I love big yam vs the avocado. Miss you guys!!

karl lagerfeld, esquire said...

Miss you too! Did you watch the new episode of Parenthood? HOW DO THE BRAVERMANS HOLD DOWN JOBS? They're so unprofessional!

Emily Robson said...

I am here to attest to the fact that those without a genetic connection to bebe T can still thoroughly enjoy all 2 minutes and 34 seconds of Big Yam vs. The Avocado. My personal favourite is the face plant!