Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Life goes on

and on and on. Having to hold it together for the Big Yam is making a big difference - as is the fact that I have an interview next Friday, we're heading out to Geneseo for March Break this Friday, our social calendar shows no signs of letting up, and I have to do a make up assignment for the class I missed on Saturday and I still have 1 five page paper and 2 twenty page research papers to do before I'm all caught up with school. Also: I have summer school. Ugh.

After watching the following trailer for the new X-Men movie, X-Men: First Class starring my beloved Michael Fassbender (from Hunger and Inglourious Basterds)



we set up the following shot, with the role of Professor Xavier played by the Big Yam and Magneto played by Little Big Cuz:


Here's the Big Yam all decked out in Nany knits. I showed this photo to the Dotytron and asked, "happy or angry?" (Answer: happy):


The Big Yam has been working on quite a few things, as it turns out. On Thursday night he started making the wet, "raspberry" sound which is hilarious. He wakes up in the middle of the night blowing raspberries and it's pretty cute. He's also started more actively reaching for things and putting things in his mouth - a couple of times he's gotten the bink in there on his own, which is a milestone I'm REALLY looking forward to - I'm more than happy to relinquish the role of binky-inserter. Tummy time is progressing quite slowly but he almost almost rolled over (the hard way, from back to front) on the weekend, so that's something. I think I'm going to buy him a little potty this weekend and a potty seat for the toilet so we can start doing our own jerry-rigged form of EC (elimination communication).

I have a job interview next Friday - I'm 100% not going to get the job, but it's been a worthwhile experience revisiting my resume and cover letter and getting my face out there and gearing up for the interview. I'm not sure what the start date is for the position and while I've been joking all this time that I can't wait to go back to work, last night, when the Big Yam was hanging off me like a little monkey child and I was kissing his cheeks and he was laughing his butt off, I felt a twinge - well, more like a hot poker burn - of ruefulness at having to leave him in the care of others before the year was up. Even at the end of the year it's going to be hard - as much as I love working and my job and the productivity of not being a full time mom, the idea of the frenzied rush of feeding, bathing, sleeping all squeezed into 2 hours post-work is really sad. The fact that you have to squeeze all your parenting in from 5:30-8:00pm is the pits. Job share is really the wave of the future. I didn't think I would be all sentimental about it, but my heart does give a little wrench whenever I think about him smiling all day in the company of a stranger. I have to remember that I'm lucky I get the promise of a year anyway.

These are the salmon and potato cakes from last week. I ended up using more potato than I should have - the salmon flavour could have been more pronounced - but after a dip in panko and a quick pan-fry they were pretty delicious. And you can't go wrong with brussels sprouts. The next morning, I took the leftover cakes, pan fried them, topped them with the chili mayo and topped that with a fried egg - breakfast of champions:



Here is the split pea and ham hock soup I made with the leftover ham. I could have used more split pea for the amount of leftover ham I had. I always add lots of celery, onions, garlic, carrots, and a sweet potato - this is a soup that eats like a meal:


Yesterday was Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Tuesday as it's known around these secular parts. I made buttermilk pancakes using a David Rosengarten recipe. David Rosengarten is a chef/food writer/food personality who had a show in the early days of the Food Network called Taste. It was really good - kind of a less science-y, more austere, less goofy Alton Brown. Anyway, even though we don't normally like non-Swedish pancakes, these turned out really nice, light, and tender - I think it'll be my go-to buttermilk pancake recipe. I'll post it tomorrow. I added a little more buttermilk to thin it out which probably helped the consistency. I also embedded bacon and sausage in the pancakes. They were delicious. To complete the meal I made a Swedish pancake "cake" of Swedish pancakes layered with a thicken 3 berry compote topped with whipped cream. It's based on something similar R (of R&R Acres fame) made for the Dotytron's birthday some years ago at the farm - R is Estonian and the originator of the Swedish pancake recipe:



Tomorrow I'll post the pancake recipe and do a post on cloth diapering, since we get asked a lot how it's going.

Fin.

No comments: