last night was fun. my bro came over and bwong was already over, having played snooker and/or pool with the dotytron, and the roomie is home, and we all celebrated me and the dotytron's anniversary with a 14 piece box of spicy popeye's fried chicken, coleslaw (surprisingly good), mashed po and gravy, coke zero, and deep fried apple pies. we accompanied this with watching "heroes" and making fun of it (and each other) pretty much non-stop. now, those of you familiar with the "heroes" universe will know that it's about people gifted with extraordinary, superhero capabilities and powers. so we're watching, and we're talking all over each other and everything gets jumbled up and s-dawg says (about sylar) in response to someone, "no, he doesn't have that power" to which the dotytron (who was well into his cups at this point and was OBVIOUSLY confused as to whom s-dawg was replying) interjects: "- of restraint?" which i found side-splittingly funny. imagining a tv show about people with superhero powers, one of which might be the power of restraint makes for pretty funny imaginary scenarios.
so today i slept in a bit (government worker day off!) and met up with my old supervisor T for a trip to etobicoke to go to this cake and pastry supply store to grab some stuff...then i went to scarborough to re-write my G1 written test. I PASSED!!!!!!! yay!!!!! i called the dotytron as soon as i stepped out of the place and was all like, "get your motor runnin'" *dotytron replies with the guitar part* "get out on the highway" - too awesome! now i can learn to drive (again)!
i called a bunch of alternate places for reception sites for the performance. some gallery spaces, some other restaurants, some caterers.
now we're going to watch "atonement" (we watched part of it the other night...it's stupid AND dumb) and i'm going to knit and maybe do some yoga.
in other news...bwong drew our attention to this little gem (featuring actors that look NOTHING like the people they're representing):
makes 4 big servings
1 1/2 lbs. loose (not in casings) mexican chorizo (or plain ground pork, but it'll be less flavourful)
1 onion, chopped
3 dried guajillo or ancho chilies (or combination)
1 chipotle chili (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
1 28 oz can canned tomatoes
1 t. cumin
1 t. coriander
1 t. mexican oregano (if available)
diced avocado, scallions, sour cream, salsa
- heat some oil in a big saute pan over high heat. add the chorizo and brown, breaking up the chunks with a spoon until cooked through. add the chopped onion and garlic (to taste) and cook until the onion is softened.
- meanwhile, cover the dried chilies with about 1 1/2 c. of boiling water. let soak 10 minutes or until softened and pliable, then blend the chilies with the water, the canned tomatoes, and the chipotle until pureed smooth.
- add the tomato chili mixture to the chorizo and the spices. simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes. season to taste with salt and pepper
- just before serving, crack 4 eggs into the mixture (space out) and cover the pan with a lid. cook until the eggs are just set.
- ladle into bowls and generously mix in corn chips and top with the suggested toppings.