Monday, October 23, 2006

weekend roundup


i boo this real world, non-weekend business, heartily. friday night the party was good, but not great...although everyone seemed to have a really good time, and we got lots of people out, i guess i was over-tired and just wanted everything to be over. promoting is just very stressful and ultimately, i think i'm just too old to be doing all this...especially when my co-promoter is in scotland for the year, and i'm left working with his flunkies, who quite frankly, suck...it's basically i have to do 90% of the work on my own, and then babysit the fragile, seratonin-deprived, hung-over psyches of the people i'm working with. that's too much work!

saturday we rolled around on the couch all day, then went out to dinner with some great friends. we ate at el sol, this gem of a mexican restaurant on the east side, at danforth and coxwell. the only downside used to be that the service was painfully slow...but things are so much better now! and the food is amazing. i always have the tacos dorados with chorizo. the chorizo is extra crumbly and mildly spicy, the corn tortillas are freshly fried, and the refried beans and rice are amazing. i love it there. then i made a brief appearance at this dubstep show. dubstep is very hit or miss for me...the atmospherics imply a higher bpm than the actual breaks and bass would indicate. i find it very difficult to get into a groove and dance to it...which is a shame, cuz the bass is so sick! some of the stuff they played while i was there had some amen-y early-hardcore ish fills that were awesome, but if you're going to do that...then it's basically following the path to jungle all over again. basically, if they gave me 20 more bpm, it would be righteous.

sunday i worked, then we started watching "battlestar galactica" !!!!!!!!! holy crap! best show ever!!!!!!! it's like terminator 2 but longer...and it deals with all these moral/ethical issues. frackin' A! i was feeling kind of beaten up from the weekend, so i cancelled my movie plans for the evening, and stayed in and marathoned that. best call, ever. last night i made that macaroni and cheese with all the cheese odds and ends. it was quite tasty...although i should have extracted more of the liquid from the spinach after sauteeing, before adding to the pasta mixture.

i think tonight is going to be leftovers night. i'm working rather late at this library branch i'm none to fond of. other than that...i'm counting down the days until reading week starts!!!

fin.

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Working with NJ at CS, tonight? Say hi to my chum Anna. I'm just prepping for my first day of hard manual labour. I'm sorry we missed your party on Friday...

Emmeline said...

oh me lord, I love el sol...my 'old' friend (who is my age but has a dog, a house, and a long-term boyfriend) lives at Coxwell and although I am often hesitant to travel aaalll the way to her house, if she bribes me with the thought of guac and corona at el sol I hop immediately onto the subway. Sorry I couldn't make it on Friday...I hope it went well! Thanks for the music suggestions...I am on it!

tasha said...

haha! reading week! I remember when that actually meant 2 week-long breaks throughout the school year. now, it just means an extra long weekend in the spring when I am longer taking courses...so basically, it amounts to squat! It's only good when I'm TAing, if the course happens to fall on a Monday, which doesn't happen a lot. boooo! do you get one in the spring, as well as in the fall, like they had at Trent?
Enjoy!

mercedes g. lee, esquire said...

emmy: are you a vegetarian? el sol is so the shiznit...i don't drink, but apparently the sangria is off the hook too.

hannah: i skipped out on CS today. eek! i used email as my mode of communication...so non-confrontational...i love it!

tash: i think i do get two reading weeks. but not every department at u of t does. i guess my degree really IS mostly filler. ha! i need to do a lot of catching up though.

mark said...

You were over-tired? My commute to the party was hell, and drive home was even worse!

mercedes g. lee, esquire said...

well...with all due respect...you did it to yourself, there buddy!

mark said...

it was well worth it though!

Emmeline said...

Mercedes...not a total vegetarian but tend to cook lots of veg based stuff (probably based on my fear of poisoning people with meat although with spinach doing the same thing I am now totally neurotic)...I use lots of ground round and tofu...any suggestions for making tofu tastier?
BTW, tasted the pineapple upside-down cake and it was superb!